Friday, June 13, 2014

Flower Crush....white peonies

My love affair with the peony began many years ago...it is one of my favorite flowers...I love white peonies....I think the peony looks fabulous in most settings from formal to country. For me the peony is a very romantic, old world flower. I love to see a large bouquet in a very rusty french urn or confit pot. I love the tension between the rustic & the delicate petals of the peony. Many years ago when I visited Britain, I saw large bouquets of peonies both the white & pink ones, in the florists & flower markets. I had never seen these large masses of peonies in the US...it seemed everywhere I looked there were gorgeous peonies. I visited the Chelsea Flower Show one year in London, peonies were definitely a favorite of the floral designers...the beauty of the designs were breathtaking. I love to see peonies in a wedding...from the bride's bouquet to the church & reception flowers, they add that special romantic touch and the fragrance is perfect, light & slightly sweet.

The peony is a flowering plant in the genus Paeonia, the only genus in the family Paeoniaceae. They are native to Asia, Southern Europe and Western North America....The peony is named after Paeon (also spelled Paean), a student of Asclepius, the Greek god of medicine and healing. Asclepius became jealous of his pupil Zeus saving Paeon from the wrath of Asclepius by turning him into the peony flower.
Mischievous nymphs were said to hide in the petals of the Peony, giving it the meaning of Shame or Bashfulness in the Language of Flowers.
Peonies are also extensively grown as ornamental plants for their very large, often scented flowers.

When I went to a local farmers market earlier this week, I came home with lots of organic fruits & vegetables and a large bouquet of white peonies... unfortunately I didn't find any nymphs hiding in the petals..I did look ;)...Sharing with you several ways to enjoy these beautiful flowers...


White peonies at Rue 27 Maison
Gorgeous bridal bouquet...

Perfect for the elegant table...
Love peonies in a rustic setting, this basket is on my courtyard table...
White peonies have a creamy or blush coloring on the white petals...
Blue & white with peonies looks fabulous...
Simply stunning with mercury glass...
Romantic & beautiful peonies..

Until next time...

Happy Fathers Day weekend to all...I was blessed to have an amazing Father, whose loving spirit still guides me...very thankful my husband is a very special, loving Dad to our children..you are more important to your family than you'll ever know..




No comments:

Post a Comment