Friday, February 21, 2014

collecting....antique & vintage silver

Ever since I can remember, I have had a love affair with old silver....goblets, trays, compotes, juleps, cutlery, bowls, napkin rings, trophies, boxes...I could go on & on :) I have been a collector for many years. I love searching for pieces that have a provenance, a story of their own. There are many clues, a piece gives us, most are marked with a makers mark, some hallmarks tell us the year, city, country and the maker...some let us know if the piece is silverplate, sterling, nickel, coin silver or quadraplate.  I am always searching for pieces with monograms, I love the fact someone took the time to personalize a special piece for themselves or for a special person in their life. I use my silver almost every day, as well as special occasions. I love the patina of the old pieces, for me, a beautiful piece of old sterling or silverplate never goes out of style but remains a classic, a timeless treasure, a reminder of well lived past days.

Sharing with you a few of my recent finds of old silver...

Rue 27 Maison
fabulous pair of monogram goblets, dated 1871 given for a 50th anniversary.. found with a written script of their family tree..
silver is difficult to photograph, the foto does not capture the beautiful hand monogramming & detailing...a work of art...truly beautiful!
beautiful pair of English Sheffield silver small nut dishes with glass cobalt liners...
antique English Sheffield biscuit jar & salt and pepper...
antique footed hand chased religious goblet...
vintage German knives found at Marché aux puces..
vintage silver trophy...

Cheers & happy hunting.....Until next time..

No comments:

Post a Comment